Wednesday, June 18, 2008

JONESIN' AROUND


     --I think that I jinxed the Reds with my last post.  They haven't won a game since!  But I still haven't lost my optimism.  They are an exciting and fun team to watch.  Last night, young Johnny Cueto was on the mound for the Reds.  I love the way this guy throws.  He's full of life on the hill.  Watch out!  The Reds are coming on, I tell you. 

     --After watching the Reds lose to the Los Angeles Dodgers last night, I finished the novel Gone, by Lisa Gardner.  It was the first Gardner book that I had read, and I did enjoy it.  It had some enjoyable plot twists.  One thing kind of bothered me, though.  She overused the phrase, "in the good-news department."   This phrase was used numerous times in both the narration and in the dialogue.  At first I was kind of amused by it, but then it became something of a distraction to me.  Still, I would recommend the book for its entertainment value.  I'll award it three out of five Js:   JJJ

     --Not to get too much into politics here, but I thought that the fist bump between Barack and Michelle Obama was a really neat moment.  It seemed to be a display of genuine euphoria and celebration.  Maybe I relate to it because Obama and I happen to be the same age, and the fist bump is a gesture that I have used many times to display affection and celebration with another person.  So it must be cool, right?



Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger John Manzo said...

I was at the game on Wednesday night and they didn't look very good. But then tonight they beat the Yankees. Anyone who beats the Yankees is fine by me!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Meatbe said...

It was indeed a nice win over the Yankees last night. Let's hope it continues!

9:16 AM  
Blogger white rabbit said...

Yikes, Matthew! Off topic again, I'm afraid but you've really got to explain your new profile photo! ;)

12:47 PM  
Blogger white rabbit said...

Okay - on an-topic postscript. I've only seen one baseball game in my life, which I did enjoy greatly, but this much I know - the NY Yankees are baseball's equivalent of Manchester United (cordially loathed by all people of goodwill) - so nice to hear of them losing...

Oh and I blogged on the Obama fist bump thing too. The fact that it was reported as it was speaks volumes - and none of it good.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home