Wednesday, September 12, 2007

RIVALRY WEEK PREDICTION


Tick, tock.....Tick, tock.....Oh boy! It's almost time! Almost time for the annual football holy war between the University of Louisville Cardinals and those blue bellies from the east, the University of Kentucky Wildcats. To put it mildly, I have an extreme passion for this game. This is a great football rivalry, and I really love it. I'll go ahead and admit it that, for me, this is the most anticipated, most exciting and yes, most important game of the year. I think of this game all year long, and there are many like me. Every minute that this game gets closer, I can feel my blood pressure rising in nervous anticipation. It won't be long now.

I bleed Cardinal red. I always have. And there is much about this year's game that causes the Cardinal faithful to be alternately confident and concerned.

U of L has completely owned this rivalry in recent years. There was much hype and excitement going into last year's game, and the Lexington propaganda machine convinced me that the Wildcats might actually win. Once the game started, however, the Cardinals dominated as usual. The final score was 59-28, but it wasn't that close.

This year, Louisville has a team ranked in the top ten, but they also have a new coach and a defense that has looked very shaky in wins over Murray State and Middle Tennessee. Kentucky has a prolific offense, and the 'Ville defense will have to seriously step it up if they hope to stop Andre Woodson, Rafael Little, Keenan Burton and their mates. The game will also be played in front of a rabid, hostile crowd in Lexington, and that fact causes some concern for me.

In the final analysis, though, I believe that the Louisville offense is just too powerful to be outscored by the Wildcat offense. The Cardinals' offensive line is huge, mobile and experienced. Jeff Brohm is the best passer in college football, thowing to three of the finest receivers in Harry Douglas, Mario Urrutia and Gary Barnidge. Anthony Allen is a human wrecking ball, a brute of a runner who chews up yardage and punishes those who tackle him. I don't think that Kentucky will be able to stop him.

I think that it will be a good contest, an exciting fray, but that the Cards will have too much in the end. My prediction: Louisville 58, Kentucky 41.

3 Comments:

Blogger Meatbe said...

Oops...I meant BRIAN Brohm.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i caught that too. I've been enjoying reading your blog lately. it helps me feel like I'm at home. I'll give you a call here soon.

-Brendan

5:17 PM  
Blogger Meatbe said...

Thanks for the comment, Brendan...How happy I am that you ended up rooming with a fellow 'Ville fan in Annapolis. What a coincidence! I hope that you and Midshipman Brendel are able to watch the game tomorrow evening, and that you have reason to celebrate afterwards. GO CARDS!!!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home