Friday, December 26, 2008

WHITEOUT!


     My professional responsibilities have not left me with much time for leisure reading of late.  I have, however, recently managed to read a very good novel that is worthy of mention.  Whiteout, by Ken Follett, is an engrossing page turner that provided me with several hours of reading pleasure.  

     I have written before about my fondness for Ken Follett's writing.  He has a rare talent for creating characters who capture the reader's interest.  As I am reading one of Follett's novels, I often find myself genuinely intrigued in his characters, wondering what they are thinking and what they will do next.  The characters in Whiteout fit that description, living through a plot that is both unpredictable and thrilling.  

     The novel is set around a medical research laboratory in Scotland.  Much of the action takes place during a snowstorm on Christmas Eve.  The plot is frightening largely because it deals with the threat of biological terrorism.  When coupled with the evil that we have come to understand to lurk in the hearts of men, this presents a truly terrifying scenario that seems all too possible and realistic in our modern world.  

     The action in Whiteout revolves largely around Toni Gallo.  She is a strong, athletic and resourceful person, a former police officer, who now serves as the director of security at the laboratory.  The reader develops a significant empathy with and for Toni as she struggles to combat the evil forces that seek to unleash biological terror upon the unsuspecting world. 

     Whiteout is a very good read indeed.  Its plot twists and turns will have you reading from the edge of your chair.  I strongly recommend this novel to you for the next time you have an opportunity to escape into the world of well-written fiction.  





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home