Thursday, July 22, 2010

HANGIN' WITH WILEY

During my daily workouts this week at the YMCA, I've been seeing a lot of Wiley Brown. This is the week for his annual basketball camp for kids at the Y.

Wiley was a key member of the 1980 University of Louisville Cardinals National Championship basketball team, and he is now the coach of the IU Southeast Grenadiers. I have always been a Louisville Cardinals fan, and I attended law school at U of L. I also got my undergraduate degree at IU Southeast, so I now have a double rooting interest involving Wiley. He had a fantastic season with the Grenadiers last year, and he has really put them on the local recruiting map. Things are really looking up for IU Southeast basketball with Wiley at the helm.

I have had the opportunity to chat some with Wiley this week, and I have enjoyed the experience very much. We are close to the same age. I look up to the man--both literally and figuratively. (He is a foot taller than I am.) He's a great guy, very unassuming and easy to talk to. He also seems to have a good way of communicating with the kids.

It is nice having him in New Albany.